Ground-breaking Corporate Acceleration Partnerships
As the communications lead at Wayra, I supported both large corporates and some of the countries most renowned institutions to launch and amplify their start-up acceleration programmes.
Recognising that they can’t hold a monopoly on good thinking and innovation, these forward-thinking organisations came to Wayra - Telefónica’s global network of start-up academies - to establish their own programmes, for the purposes of staying close to emerging trends or to establish a funnel for corporate venture capital investments.
Working intimately with each of the following, I built out strategies and delivered on national and international PR campaigns, that included three first-to-market accelerator programmes.
The GCHQ Cyber Accelerator
The first startup programme launched by any of the UK’s intelligence services, The GCHQ Cyber Accelerator is a collaboration between the Department of Culture, Media, and Sport, the Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ), Wayra, and the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC). The aim is to drive innovation in the cyber security sector and keep British businesses and consumers safe from online attacks and threats.
- Devising a multi-channel communication launch plan.
- Managing media enquiries from key journalists and editors.
- Bylining thought leadership editorial for senior leaders.
- Coordinating a launch event at GCHQ Cheltenham.
ASOS Fashion Accelerator
ASOS – one of the world’s leading fashion destinations for 20-somethings – launched a partnership with Wayra UK, to find and accelerate innovative start-ups with technology that can make the ASOS experience even better for its 11 million customers around the world.
With more than 80,000 products on ASOS, 3,500 new items added every week and an average of 3.2 million visits daily, ASOS and Wayra UK will be looking for smart technologies to accelerate the pace of innovation within the fashion technology space, making the customer experience easier, more enjoyable, and more personalised.
- Working closely with ASOS Global Comms Director and c-suite team, on creating, implementing and driving communication and thought leadership strategy.
- Arranged media functions, including a lead sponsorship opportunity at Decoded Fashion.
- Mentoring ASOS team on start-up ecosystem and providing counsel to spokespeople on communications message delivery.
Velocity Health Accelerator
With the NHS facing a funding gap estimated at £30bn by 2020/21, MSD - the fourth largest pharmaceutical company in the world - and Wayra, established Velocity Health, the first preventative healthcare accelerator in the UK. The aim of the programme is to look ahead to the future delivery of innovative healthcare solutions and through technology, empower patients to take more control and ownership of their well-being.
- Working alongside a PR agency and external vendors to develop and execute a communication launch plan.
- Creating multi-channel and sustained comms strategies, including thought leadership, campaigns, social and content strategies.
- Coordinating a number of events for high-value stakeholders, including sponsored participation at WIRED Health.
- Working closely with MSD’s legal and PR teams to ensure all communications met compliance standards.
UnLtd, the world's largest supporter of social entrepreneurs, and Wayra, partnered to be the first programme in the UK to focus on start-ups that make a positive social impact through digital technologies.
- Maximise positive news flow around campaigns, start-up investments and positive impacts from technology developed.
- Curate content that sparks engagement from journalists, analysts, bloggers and thought leaders, on societal outcomes of acceleration programme.
- Align activities with key initiatives led by policymakers, government departments and other institutions, to proof-point relevancy of programme.